Offshore Apprenticeship Program
Apprenticeships are no longer a thing of the past. This program is a new initiative for Dubai Petroleum Establishment. The program is now in its second year and is designed to give young UAE Nationals the skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications needed to work as technicians on oil offshore operations. As technicians they will form the core of a shift team at the oil production and processing installations. Here they need to understand not just what is happening within a piece of equipment but also how that equipment impacts the overall operating system.
Dubai Petroleum Establishment uses the Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) as the awarding body for the Apprenticeship scheme within Dubai Petroleum Establishment.
Vocational Qualifications (SVQ’s) and National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ’s) are internationally recognized and can be used as the building blocks to higher level qualifications.
Vocational qualifications are designed to develop skills in specific occupations/careers and are based on standards, or 'competencies', that have been agreed by professionals in their respective occupations, such as processing hydrocarbons or engineering maintenance. They are built up through the achievement of individual units, each assessed through the observation of practical tasks recorded in a portfolio of evidence for each candidate and developed with an assessor over time until complete. Therefore they are work based qualifications which are relevant to specific skill levels, they are not theory based.
The length of the program is dependent on many issues but typically lasts for 2 years and apprentices get to take up a permanent offshore position with the company.
The program seeks to:
- Give practical experience and skills to individuals to work as an offshore specialist in a particular field
- Train the apprentice in different areas of the oil industry
- Induct UAE Nationals into the offshore workforce.
Technical skills and practical application are what the apprentice will get from this program by:
- Internationally recognized vocational qualification
- Formal training on the basic principles on Oil & Gas
- Being right at the frontline of oil production
- Working in a diverse environment with latest technology and equipment
- Being inducted into our onshore and offshore activities, the facilities, what their job will be, and what it is to work for Dubai Petroleum Establishment
- Obtaining on-the-job training that is structured by a personal development plan
- Being guided by experienced technicians and supervisors
- Receiving feedback and formal evaluation of their progress throughout the course.
The applicant must:
- Be a UAE National
- Hold a High School Certificate or Diploma in Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Mechatronics or Chemical Engineering.
The program inducts apprentices into the offshore workforce located on Dubai Petroleum Establishment’s oil field platforms offshore Dubai through a typical 7/7 rotation (that is, 7 continuous days at work offshore followed by 7 rest days). All transport to and from the offshore field is by helicopter from Dubai Airport.
How to apply
The two ways to apply are:
"Toil and production are two distinguishing characteristics of a creative man."- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum